Monday, August 23, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love

Tonight I went to see Eat, Pray, Love with some friends.  I actually enjoyed it which surprised me because the previews I had seen were pretty bad.  I read the book a couple of years ago and loved it!  It's interesting that it means something different to me than it did then.  Isn't that interesting how your perspective changes.  What really captured my attention in the movie was the comment made that Americans do not know how to enjoy doing nothing/relaxing.  We feel guilty about it.  In this book/movie, Liz Gilbert starts out as a typical American woman, trying to control life and her emotions but yet is searching for some inner peace.  She is very uptight and learns to relax and find balance in her life as she learns meditation and how to quiet her mind.  It got me thinking....am I like this?  How often do I get to sit and do absolutely nothing and not feel guilty about it??  That's the clencher!  I have a lot of inner guilty self-talk apparently.  But the Italian lifestyle inspired me.  It's the same in France.  "They work as hard as anyone; they just know when to quit".  Life is about letting some things go.  If I don't clean the house one day or dinner doesn't get made, it doesn't matter in the long run.  What matters most are the moments that pass us by while we're participating in the drudgery of life.  I love books/movies that make you think!! 

1 comment: